Friday, September 9, 2011

Learning to Program

One of the most important skills I think a person can have, and one that I've been trying to learn for a while is the ability to program. It's been very frustrating to start Michael Hartl's Rails Tutorial, and then be four chapters in when other things in life have to become priorities. My goal this summer was to learn enough Rails to be able to build web applications for some of the ideas I have. Though I was working a job during the day, and trying to find market-fit for my ideas at night, I could have devoted more time learning how to code. Now, I feel like I have to wait until Thanksgiving Break or Winter Break with school and sports before I can have a real shot at making my own web apps. Maybe I can learn web development practicing thirty minutes a night. One of my biggest regrets in life has been not learning how to code when I was younger, so my advice to any teenager or adult reading this is to devote as much time as you can to becoming a developer; you won't see the benefits right away, but when you don't need to hire someone to build a prototype for your startup or you actually get hired to do freelance work, you'll see it's well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment