Sunday, October 16, 2011

LinkedIn: It's Good For Teens

About eight months ago, my parents got an email from someone we both know saying they saw my name on LinkedIn, and that they were concerned about the fact that I was on it. After my parents brought it up with me, I explained that being on LinkedIn was a positive thing, as it allowed me to build up my connections after I met people at various events or conferences. The fact that this person had taken time out of their day to admonish me for being on a business networking site actually concerned me. I understood what this person's perspective was; that this person was probably thinking I might get hurt on LinkedIn or do something silly on the site. However, I also think being on LinkedIn is one of the most harmless things in the world. When did the days end that teenagers were given a little pat on the pack for joining a site like LinkedIn and trying to start a company? I don't think teens should be given a pat on the back for doing something as simple as joining LinkedIn, but I also find it ridiculous that there are some adults who believe that it is unsafe for teenagers to add people that they have met in person on a site that may help them out later in life. My advice to teenagers is to join LinkedIn. When you meet an adult and you ask him or her to add you on LinkedIn, that will show an unexpected sense of maturity. Don't listen to everything you are told, and join LinkedIn if you want to.

You can follow me @kaufman_jack.

No comments:

Post a Comment