Friday, October 14, 2011

A Day at the Doctor's Office

Yesterday I spent three hours at Yale Children's Hospital seeing a doctor and having some blood work done. Yale has some of the best doctors in the world, and also has a beautiful hospital for kids who are sick and going through a tough time. But, being there for me was a terrible experience. It's just a place that reminds me of memories from the past that are particularly unpleasant. But, I think this is part of the human experience. Almost everyone has been in some situation at some point during the course of life that has been painful, and seeing things or going to places that are reminders of the bad times in the past is tough. But, it can also be beneficial to go to these places and think about what you have become after the life-changing experiences they remind you of are no longer as prevalent in your mind. Don't be afraid to face the past. It's hard, but I think if you do it you will find thinking of the past and reflecting on it might be helpful in learning about yourself.

In one of my next couple of posts, I'll talk about the circumstances around my prior visits to Yale. You can follow me at @kaufman_jack.

No comments:

Post a Comment